STARBUCKS

Starbucks

Saturday, January 14, 2012

World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs


Raise your hand if you enjoy making boiled eggs? I’m raising mine because I make them every week. My two boys LOVE boiled eggs. Guess what? I ate eggs nearly every day while I was pregnant. I craved them scrambled, boiled and fried and sadly, I still like them. So, no wonder they love eggs.

I also am the executive devil egg maker on hubby’s side of the family. I’m recruited at every event. So, I’ve learned to love making boiled eggs and I’ve nearly perfected them (No one is perfect).

Here is the world’s easiest way to make boiled eggs.

1. Fill a pot with water and set the temp to high. Add desired amount of eggs making sure the water covers the entire egg. Bring it to a boil. DON”T CONTINUE TO BOIL. Once it begins, remove it from the heat and put a lid on it. Set your timer for 15 minutes.

2. Ding! Pour the hot water off and immediately fill your pot with cold water. Add as much ice as you can to this water. If it melts in a few minutes, add more. The water should be icy cold when you put your hand in it. If not, continue adding ice.

3. After about 10-15 minutes (no set time), pour NEARLY all of the water off reserving about an inch.

4. Put the lid on and now it’s time to play bumper cars. You heard me, shake those babies bumping them together back and forth. You’ll look ridiculous, but I promise it’s worth the goofy look so you’re not peeling each one under cold running water. Just continue to shake, shake, shake for about a minute and voila! When you remove the lid nearly all of your shell has fallen off the egg and they EASILY peel off without peeling the egg off.
There that’s my method of boiled eggs. I store them in a ziploc bag (dated-because they have a week long shelf-life) in the fridge and I’ve saved myself time, energy and money (because I didn’t buy the boiled eggs in a bag sold at the store). And my boys are happy all week long. I add them to my chef salad or eat them as a protein snack.

P.S. If you’re making deviled eggs, whip your yolk with your wire whisk in your mixer. And whisk a long time and add a tablespoon or two extra mayo and top it with a sliced olive with pimento. All your in-laws will think you’ve went to culinary school!

Have you ever tried this bumper car method? Do you make deviled eggs? Now you can!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
DEVILED EGGS

INGREDIENTS:
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
3 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1) Cut eggs lengthwise in half. Slip out yolks and mash with fork.
2) Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Fill whites with egg yolk mixture, heaping it lightly. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you! I pinned this post three years ago and every time I have boiled eggs since then, I have went back and found that pin & double checked myself. I know it's simple, but simple things are truly the best! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp!* I am doing this - this weekend - if it works, you are my new domestic Goddess.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like too much work! Half an hour just to boil eggs?! I just boil them for about 10 minutes, run facet cold water over them, then peel them and eat them while they're still hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't try to boil/peel VERY FRESHLY LAID chicken eggs from your "backyard chickens", as you'll have chunks of egg (holes/bits) not in your peeled eggs -- because the shells were sticking to the eggs.
    If you have your own chickens, wait a couple (three?) weeks before you boil/peel those ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip! I haven't heard it before, and I wondered why my eggs wouldn't "work right."

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that tip! I haven't heard it before, and I wondered why my eggs wouldn't "work right."

      Delete